Hello everyone! As you may know, I am very attached to my hair, and it’s one of the things I like best about my physical appearance. A persons’ hair has long been associated with spirituality; with many world religions placing doctrine on hair, whether in regards to covering it, not cutting it, or something else. As such, it makes sense for your hair to play a part in your Craft, especially if it is a part of yourself that you are particularly proud of.
There are three main ways that you can use your hair in your Craft, to use strands within your spells and potions, incorporate magic into your hair care routine, or to use your hair as braid/knot magic. Most of these ideas focus on long hair, apologies! If anyone has any other suggestions for hair magic for short haired people - please add them on!
The way I incorporate my hair into my practise is to use it as a form of knot (braid) magic. Braiding hair whilst having an intention in your mind is the perfect way to set that intention and wear it with you for the day. As you braid your hair, set your intention for the day within each weave. You can either visualise your intention whilst braiding your hair, or sing/ say it out loud. For instance, you can make a little rhyme to sing whilst braiding your hair, and be all Rapunzel like!
- To add another layer to this, you can add ribbons, coloured threads, beads, flowers etc, into your braids.
- In this way you can incorporate colour magic (here is a post with my colour correspondences)into your braiding - for instance a yellow ribbon for positivity, a black ribbon for protection.
- Adding specific flowers to your hair imbues your hair braiding with the connotations of that flower or plant.
- Tight french braids lend themselves to magic relating to productivity, motivation, energy increasing, offensive magic.
Looser dutch braids or english braids lend themselves to magic relating to relaxation, cleansing, anti-anxiety, calming, soothing, and defensive magic.
- You can also do a similar thing whilst brushing or washing your hair. Setitng your intent whilst brushing your hair in a certain amount of strokes (i.e. multiples of three) can imbue your hair with magic.
- At night brush your hair, starting at the left side and finishing at the right, all whilst visualising the stresses and struggles of the day being brushed away, and relaxing vibes being brushed in. This works for short hair too, if you have no hair, you can do the same thing by stroking your scalp in downwards movements.
- Brushing hair is also a great grounding practise
- Wash your hair with shampoos with specific ingredients and scents to suit your intent for the day - for instance, citrus for energy increasing, lavender for relaxation and soothing, teatree and peppermint for productivity.
- Use washing your hair as a time to deep cleanse yourself, both physically and spiritually. Visualise built up or negative energies going down the drain with the soap bubbles.
- Similarly, use hair masks with specific ingredients to imbue your hair with magical properties. For instance, honey for self love (honey has mild bleaching effects so don’t use on coloured hair), avocados for nurturing and contentedness.
- Charm your hair oil, hair spray or other hair products with magical properties.
A productivity hair braid spell:
- Consider your intent, make it as specific as you can. The intent will be active until you take your braids out, so keep it short-term. For instance, “I will be motivated to start writing my essay today.” If you like, you can create a little song or rhyme to sing whilst you braid your hair.
- Brush through your hair well, visualising any built up or negative energies being removed with each brush stroke.
- Decide what type of braid you’re going to do, french braids are useful for motivation magic - if you can’t do one, stick to an english braid (the bog-standard one).
- Start braiding, all the while keeping your intention in the forefront of your mind, say it out loud or under your breath if you like.
- The amount of braids is dependent on how you’d like it to look, your hair type, and if you’d like to add extra magic (i.e. number magic) you can braid your entire hair in one big braid, or just do one or two small braids throughout your hair.
- Finish it off with a hair bobble with a colour that matches the intent, green or yellow will work well. To go a bit extra, weave your braids with green or yellow ribbon.
- Keep in your hair until no longer needed, take your braids out and brush through.
Credit to / Reblogged from Spooniewitches.tumblr.com ~